Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Final Days


A Star Among the Rest, originally uploaded by Design.Her.

One of the last photos for the month long photo-a-day project. The subject this time was the umbrella plant in my house that sits just beneath a skylight. The natural light really compliments the shine of the leaves and reminded me of a star burst or fireworks.

As pleased as I am with myself for making it through a month and sticking to the goal of one photo a day, there has been something nagging at my patience that came to pass a few days ago. As some that live here in New Mexico may have heard, and participated in; there was a photography contest organized by the state's tourism department, and the grand prize was a very attractive sum of ten thousand dollars. That sounds good to just about everybody, and particularly good to a recent collage graduate with bills piled to the sky.

Having gotten excited at the prospect of winning that much money for one photo, I gathered all of my photos from trips around the state and narrowed the pool down to the five best. I logged onto the website, made myself a profile, and continued to load the limit of five photographs. The next step led me to a page with the dreaded loading bar which read "please wait while we process your photos." So I waited. And waited... and waited........

Once I had waited for a few hours, I sent an email to the support center of the competition asking if it was normal to have such a long wait time. After letting my computer stay on this page for DAYS I closed the tab and waiting for an email.  I got a response email from the competition, two days after the deadline! In it, they told me that they were sorry for the inconvenience and that my photos were not submitted.

I'm still pretty sore about the whole thing. I mean, I'm no Ansel Adams, but I would have liked to at least have a chance at winning the grand prize.  So my only recourse is to just keep shooting, and hope that another opportunity pops up to get some exposure.  Let's hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment